History and Vision
Urban Teacher Center (UTC) launched its preparation of skilled teachers committed to measurable results in August 2010 with three founding partners - Baltimore City Schools and two charter management organizations (CMOs) in Washington D.C.
UTC’s founding participants were prepared in general and special education for the literacy and math content areas in grades prekindergarten – nine, leading to dual general and special education licensure for all participants who successfully pass though UTC’s performance standards.
In its second year UTC doubled its cohort size and grew to 7 partnering districts and CMOs in Maryland and Washington D.C.
Our Vision for Success in 2015
- UTC has expanded to five distinct districts in four states
- UTC is preparing and placing teachers for grades nine – 12 in math, English and science with dual certification in special education
- There is an expanding market of effective teachers who are aggressively acquired by savvy districts/CMOs
- Two UTC partnering districts/CMOs introduce student achievement-based performance measures for all new teacher hires in specific content areas and grades
- Using student performance outcomes, a state partner is tracking data from UTC’s teacher preparation program
- UTC residents are eligible for high risk/high reward incentives in three of five partner districts